Wednesday, March 22, 2006

It all came back today

For some reason I woke up sad today. Usually Wednesdays are so awesome that it's all I can do to contain my excitement. This morning was different. I'm still looking forward to hanging out tonight, but I can't seem to shake this melancholy that is sitting in the back of my mind. The weird thing is that I was cleaning out my email and I came across something that an ex-boyfriend (and current friend) sent me not long ago. It was about the morning he moved away and our last goodbye. Although I didn't read it until about five years after it was written, it brought me right back to that day he left.

I went to his blog this afternoon and was surprised to see it there, posted not long ago. That makes twice that I accidentally came across it today. We both have new significant others and are happy. We are close friends now and the relationship we shared in the past is not something that either one of us wants again, although the past is nothing that I would ever change, even if I could. Despite these things, I will always cry a little at the thought of that cold January morning. It's probably one of the most meaningful things I've ever read, and not just because I lived it, but also because he is an amazing writer. It's a moment that will always be a part of me. Here's a little piece:

"I spent the plane ride thinking of our many goodbyes, mostly remembering how you looked on that street corner, disappearing into the distance. You were sad, beautiful, and everything else you've ever meant to me. You were a portrait burned into my memory like white noise under the thoughts racing through my head. I hold on to that moment tightly, like a little piece of you that I can keep forever."

Ok, enough with the serious stuff.

No comments: