Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The universe strikes again

Ok, so the last time I got dumped by an asshole boy who found a new lady I was really down. I was walking down Broadway doing what I always do when I'm depressed--spending money I don't have. Anyway, I see this drunken homeless looking fellow coming at me. I was getting prepared for the "can you spare some change" interaction and figuring out if I should a) give it to him so he'd leave me alone or b) not give it to him because if I gave it to him he might want to start up a conversation with me (I'm pretty bad at getting out of those). Ok, so I decided I'd give it to him and walk away quickly, then he was in front of me.

This is how it went:
Fellow: "Hey! Come 'ere. I wanna tell you something."
Me: (silence with a look of fear)
Fellow: "You're cuter and smarter than her! Don't you even worry about it."
Me: (silence with a smile)

Then he walked away. Who knows what he was talking about but it was just what I needed to hear just when I needed to hear it.

So anyway, today I was walking to lunch (kinda down cause I just got dumped by an asshole boy, one that I lived with this time) and I see these kids (they looked about 20 or so but I can call them kids now that I'm 30--HA) walking toward me. There were five of them and one of them was playing a ukulele. I didn't think there was going to be any sort of encounter but I was wrong.

Here is how it went:
20-something guy: "Excuse me ma'’am. Could we give you a group hug?"
Me: "Uhhh..Sure."
20-something girl with ukulele: "Really!? We've been walking around asking people all day and you're the first one to say yes!"

Then they all (there were about five of them) crowded around me and gave me a hug. Some of them even made that hugging noise, you know that noise you make when you're giving someone you like a hug. Then we thanked each other and went our separate ways.

It's funny because I was just thinking this morning how I miss having someone around to show me affection. It was just what I needed, just when I needed it. I can even forgive them calling me ma'’am. After all I am 30.

1 comment:

Aaron Dietz said...

This was the most awesome story I've read in a long while.